Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"Group Therapy"

I feel connected to you in so many ways; let me explain.

It could've been the moment I saw you sleeping at the table

while everyone around you was having a conversation,

the fact that your name was the same name of an old friend,

or when you spoke, I wanted to stop and just listen to you.

What I was sure of was that I wanted you to be my friend.


I didn't know what to say or do to get close to you,

but luckily for me, I didn't have to do or say anything.

We were sitting around separate tables in the same room.

You began saying out loud how your phone wasn't working.

I said, "Humph" and asked what kind of phone you had.

You told me then got up from your seat and sat next to me,

and the next thing I knew we were having a conversation

about all the different types of food, especially meats.


I was afraid of music because last time, I heard voices.

Despite that, I liked you 'cause you played upbeat songs like

Nicki Minaj's "Starships" and Trey Songz's "Successful".

You inspired me to listen to music and sing again.


I looked forward to the times I could hear you speak.

I would try to ask interesting questions each week.

It didn't matter if I knew more information about you

than you knew about me; I'd let you in eventually.


When I'd miss a day, you started to wonder where I was.

I'd briefly explain and then asked, "Did you miss me?"

You would smile and nod your head and if I was depressed,

it would go away and I would be cheerful instead.


There were days we would rarely speak, which bothered me.

I noticed that the only way I could talk to you

was if I was sitting next to you by the computers.

You introduced me to so many new songs,

and it was the greatest when we would sing along.

Something I'd say would make you giggle,

and something you'd do would make me crack up.

Our days were no good if we hadn't made each other laugh.


It was a cold morning and we were sitting side by side.

There was a silent but familiar pain inside my chest

as tears ran down my face and I quietly wept.

Not many have seen me cry and this was not the time,

but I needed someone to hold me close and not let go.

As I thought about all the ones I'd loved too much,

and reminiscenced about the times we'd touch,

you looked at me; acknowledged my presence,

and I felt comforted when you carressed my hand.

I had a feeling you'd seen me like no one else can.

That's why I can say you are the best friend I never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment